by Rick Sidorowicz
Let’s redefine ‘empowerment’ into self directed action and take a ‘nuts and bolts’ approach to make it happen. Here is a quick list of ‘do’s’ and an exercise to create your own action plan.
1. Confront people with reality.
2. Focus on actual performance.
3. Insist on meeting tough standards.
4. Transfer ownership of performance to the performer.
5. Have productive conversations.
6. Support and coach.
7. Ask questions and don’t give the answers.
8. Ask the following questions ...
9. When asked, 'What should I do?'
... go here for the answer.
Make a list of the next twenty five decisions you make or problems you solve for others pertaining to your work. Include all problems passed to you from any source, all requests for permission or approval, and any intervention you undertake to solve a problem.
Note the task or detail, and the dollar magnitude of the item. After completing
the list answer the questions that follow.
Many more articles in The Leadership Imperative in The CEO Refresher Archives